The price of a new blower motor
If the blower motor is not covered by the manufacturer’s warranty, it costs $300-900 plus labor. A big or variable-speed HVAC blower motor might cost anywhere from $600 to $1,500 to replace. The cost of a blower motor for a furnace or air conditioner ranges from $100 to $500 on average.
- Blower Motor Under Warranty – $200 – $400
- Blower Motor NOT Under Warranty – $300 – $900
Most air conditioners are covered by a 5- or 10-year guarantee that covers parts but not labor.
Blower motor repair charges range from $150 to $700, depending on the condition and the validity of the warranty.
The blower motor is found in furnaces, air conditioners, and heat pumps. A replacement air handler might cost $1,500 to $3,400.
The average cost of replacing a blower motor in an HVAC system.
The cost of replacing a furnace blower motor, including installation, is shown in the table below.
AVERAGE COST OF REPLACING AN HVAC BLOWER MOTOR
- The national average price was $580.
- The minimum cost is $200.
- The maximum cost is $2,400.
- The average price ranges from $300 to $900.
The cost of a blower motor for a home air conditioner or furnace
A blower motor for a residential air conditioner or furnace costs $100 to $500 on average, depending on the brand, motor size, and speed . A/C blower motors are utilized in central air conditioning and split air conditioning.
The cost of replacing a blower motor varies depending on the brand.
Cost of a new blower motor for a Carrier
If not covered by warranty, a Carrier blower motor replacement costs $300 to $2,000 including installation, or $100 to $1,600 for the part alone. Unless registered within 90 days of installation, Carrier furnaces and air handlers have a 5-year warranty.
The price of a new Trane blower motor
If not covered by warranty, a Trane blower motor replacement costs $380 to $2,400 including installation, or $180 to $2,000 for the part alone. Trane’s variable-speed motors are on the more expensive side of the spectrum. A 10-year guarantee is included with Trane furnaces and air conditioners.
The cost of replacing a Rheem blower motor
If not covered by warranty, a Rheem blower motor replacement costs $330 to $1,700 including installation, or $130 to $1,300 for the part alone. Depending on the model, Rheem units have a 5- or 10-year guarantee.
The price of a new Lennox blower motor
If not covered by warranty, a Lennox blower motor replacement costs $300 to $2,000, including installation, or $100 to $1,600 for the part alone. According to model, Lennox furnaces and air handlers are protected for 5 or 10 years.
The price of a new York blower motor
If not covered by warranty, a York furnace blower motor replacement costs $330 to $2,200 including installation, or $130 to $1,800 for the motor alone. Most York furnaces and air handlers have a 10-year limited warranty on parts.
Price factors for blower motors in central air and heaters
The cost of replacing a blower motor is influenced by the following factors:
- Blower motor size and performance — High-horsepower (HP) models cost more than lower-horsepower models.
- Single-speed or multi-speed PSC motors are less expensive than variable-speed ECM motors, but single-speed motors are less efficient and more expensive to operate.
- Branded or OEM blower motors normally cost more than generic or universal motors.
- Labor costs — Replacing a blower motor yourself saves $200 to $400 in labor costs.
- Blower motors frequently have one or more pieces in front of them that require disassembly and reassembly, which increases work time.
- The motor may be covered by the manufacturer’s warranty, but not the labor.
- It is conceivable that you will need to replace the blower wheel or capacitor..
The cost of installing a blower motor
The cost of labor alone to install a blower motor ranges from $200 to $400 on average. HVAC contractors charge $75 to $150 per hour, with a $75 to $200 minimum travel charge. Depending on the accessibility, installing a blower motor can take anywhere from 2 to 3 hours.
- Blower Motor Part – $100-$500
- Labor – $200-$400
- Total Installation Cost – $300-$900
The expense of replacing a PSC vs. an ECM blower motor
The cost of replacing a permanent split capacitor (PSC) blower motor, including installation, ranges from $300 to $1,100. The cost of replacing an electronically commutated (ECM) blower motor ranges from $600 to $1,500.
- PSCs (permanent split capacitors) range from $300 to $1,100.
- $600 – $1,500 Electronically commutated (ECM)
A PSC blower motor has one to three speeds and is less expensive up front, but its low efficiency means greater operational costs. PSC blower motors are widespread in older furnaces.
A variable-speed ECM motor consumes up to 75% less electricity than a PSC motor. The US Department of Energy has mandated the use of ECM motors as of 2019.
Cost of a single-speed vs. variable-speed blower motor
The cost of a single-stage, two-stage, or variable-speed blower motor ranges from $100 to $1,100 on average for the part alone.
- Single-stage or single-speed motors have only two speeds: “high” and “off.“ Single-speed motors are the most inefficient and expensive to operate.
- Motors with two stages have one to three speeds. Because they are not always running at full capacity, multiple-speed blower motors are quieter than single-speed models.
- To maintain the home’s temperature, variable-speed blower motors ramp up gently and run at the lowest possible speed. Variable-speed motors are more expensive, but they save money on electricity and provide the best airflow control.
Repairing a blower motor is expensive.
The cost of an AC blower motor repair ranges from $150 to $700, depending on the problem and whether the equipment is still under warranty.
If the repairs cost 50% or more of the replacement cost, it’s time to replace the blower motor.
Blower Motor Parts Cost:
- Bearing – $20-$200
- Belt – $5-$25
- Blower Resistor – $25-$55
- Blower Wheel (squirrel cage) – $25-$300
- Capacitor – $10-$50
- EMC Motor Control Module – $220-$800
- EMC Repair Kit – $20-$60
- Housing – $90-$300
- Pulley – $30-$250
- Shaft – $30-$300
The price of a new blower wheel
The cost of HVAC repair with a new blower wheel ranges from $100 to 750, including labor, or $25 to $300 for the part alone. Squeaky furnaces need new blower wheels, not just tightened screws. Dirt accumulation from improper maintenance frequently causes blower wheel failure.
The cost of replacing a blower capacitor
The cost of a furnace blower capacitor ranges from $100 to $250 with installation and $10 to $50 for the component alone. Instead of a broken blower motor, a humming or buzzing motor usually indicates a defective capacitor.
Choosing an HVAC specialist
Pre-placement checklist for HVAC technicians:
- Compare at least three estimations.
- A NATE-certified technician with competence in AC repair and replacement blower motors.
- Check out their reviews on HomeGuide, Google, and the BBB (BBB).
- Choose firms with five years of experience and insurance.
- Get referrals.
- Don’t go for the cheapest quote, as quality may
- Confirm the part’s warranty status.
- Before work begins, get a written estimate, contract, and warranty.
- Never pay in full before work begins. Instead, use a payment plan.
When considering whether to repair or replace a motor, consider its age, efficiency, and frequency of maintenance. Comfort Aire Inc. can be contacted at (219)306-2348 if you are not interested in a Trane Blower Motor replacement.